In the center of the city, very close to the port lies the Jewish Synagogue and, next ot it, the Rabbi's residence. The temple functions today as a municipal cultural center.
The temple is a witness for the continuous presence of a Jewish community in Kos that goes back all the way to the second century B.C. Expelled in the 14th century by the Knights Templar, the jews returned to Kos two centuries later after the Ottoman conquest. The community was totally annihilated in 1945 when all its members were transferred to the Auschwitz concetration camp, with only one member managing to return to Kos.
The building of the Synagogue replaced an older Synagogue building which was destroyed during the earthquake of 1933.